More Trivia and Photos From the Road

Random shots and info. We drove 3500 miles in the three weeks we were there.

I didn't want to miss a thing. I saw the Indian Ocean, Atlantic Ocean and where they meet in Cape Town.

The pure beauty and vastness of the land...there are just no words to describe.

I have always heard that the water goes down the drain the opposite direction below the Equator. That was the first thing I checked. It's true. Also, there are hot and cold handles on the sinks and they are opposite of where we have it. That is, hot is on the right and cold on the left.

They call restrooms, toilets. Sometimes you have to pay. I didn't. Ugh.

Everything is Metric.

We were there in March and it was the end of Summer-beginning Fall.


This was my favorite road-side stop.


This is a typical "One Stop" in a rural area.


Yay! The Coke truck arrived just in time.


In my part of the world, most towns of any size have a Sonic. In South Africa it is Kentucy Fried Chicken. For some reason this was so funny to me.


I had no idea what this roadsign says. Still don't. It is such a good thing I was not driving...I might have ended up in Botswana.

There are 11 official languages in South Africa. Afrikaans, English and Zulu being the most prominent. The others may or may not change day to day depending on the way the wind blows.



I was a little scared taking this photo. That vendor does not look friendly. Mr. Wonderful stopped on the roadside to get fresh fruit.




That's all for today, Peeps. Thanks for reading and your comments and questions.
I have to stop now. My brain is full.

4 comments:

Mysti said...

So glad you're doing this - South Africa looks fascinating!

The Princess said...

AWESOME!

The Princess

tam said...

No Sonic...but KFC, that is hilarious. Makes no sense, but funny anyway.

Rt. 44 Diet Cherry Limeade, light ice!

Tammy said...

I guess I just think that folks in the good ol' Southern USA are the only people in the world that eat fried chicken.

Love the pics.