Something

I've got to come up with something just to get that last post off the top of the page.

THAT'S what happens when Beachy Mimi runs fever.

The miracle RX is working, and for the price I should be up dancing and whooping it up. I am better, but not to the whooping it up stage, unless you count my relentless coughing and I don't.

Poor, poor Queen B and the science fair project. Heh Heh

I may or may not have tackled a few of those for her in past years...I can sit back and enjoy this.

Just a grandmotherly note to pass along to the Peeps: encourage your children CONSTANTLY.

I have a feeling that all the women who are Peeps here already do this. Just take it from a Peep that didn't get encouragement growing up. It will make a tremendous difference in your kid's lives. Okay, okay. Get out the violins. I'm not having a pity party AT ALL.

Not every person parents their children the same way. There are women that have a very difficult time stirring up some maternal mojo.

Our self-esteem comes from the Lord. I totally believe that. But for those years when you are a little too young to grasp that fully, you really need a parents' confirmation of you as a person.

Kids of all ages need to be hugged, kissed, loved on and TOLD they are loved. In words. All that "stuff" we do for them out of love is just "stuff" to kids. They need the concrete display with touch and words.

My P-Units were reared in a time when affection was not the standard in many homes.

A Daddy worked. Mamas might work outside the home, but mostly were housewives. I felt there was something wrong with ME because my PU worked and I stayed with someone else.

That't totally ridiculous, of course, but to a little kid...imaginations run wild.

I taught some very confused children. They really had a problem with their own worth and identity in a busy household with lots going on.

Boy this sounds depressing, I don't mean it to be.

Just encouragement for you to wipe a big kiss on your kids and give the teenagers a noogie just so you can give them some touching.

I co-taught a Bible study a few years ago and the number 1 thing men (boys)said they missed in tween to teenage years was...touch.

Women had more varied answers but I know they feel the same way.

I'm going to go drown myself with more cough syrup and hush until my semi-feverish brain can come up with some cheery stuff to say.

Have a great day, Peeps! I'll be back to normal, soon.

I have a feeling I left out alot of punctuation in my ramblings. So, Peeps, here it is. Apply as needed. , .'/?!

10 comments:

a Tonggu Momma said...

There is wisdom here... you know, when the husband and I co-led our teen small group, I got over my awkwardness and hugged the boys just like I did the girls. (Always with the husband around, of course.) I didn't want them feeling I only loved the girls, you know? Now... unfortunately... one of those boys was the one from this month's The Laundry Incident. Ah, well.

Heather said...

My husband and I were not raised in an affectionate home. Ok, we weren't raised in the SAME home either. (We aren't even from the same state) But somehow we found each other. Our kids don't have a Wii, Nintendo whatever, or all the latest and greatest, but they have TONS of kisses, hugs and "I love yous"

And they see that mommy and daddy love each other.

ALSO, I seem to relate the best to the kids at school that don't have the best homelife. I am drawn to them for some reason. And I think they are drawn to me at times as well....

Feel better soon, Mimi.

Tammy said...

I love all over my 9 year old son, much to his dismay. I even grab his hand sometimes when walking and tell him he will NEVER be too big to hold his momma's hand! My daughter seems to be naturally more affectionate.

Feel better soon Mimi!

Dawn said...

I love all over my kids. Started when they were babies - rocked them every night despite people's warnings that I was spoiling them. Want to know the results? I have a 15 yo son who often still calls me "mommy" (despite my pleas for him to switch "mom" for his own safety amongst his school peers) and who always hugs me and says "I love you" when getting out of our vehicle - no matter who is around!

Think affirmation and touch doesn't matter? I think otherwise!!!

Hope you continue to get well quickly!

Theresa said...

You are so insightful. And so right on with the teenage boys. Another thing with teenage boys is if you make them a sandwich they feel loved.

When on earth are you going to start feeling better?

fortyb4forty said...

Thanks for the reminder and feel better!

Christy said...

Thanks Mimi, I needed that. I have a 15 yr old son who is struggling and I needed a reminder. Thanks for sharing your wisdom - all of it. Hope you feel better immediately.

Jen said...

Oh, Mimi, I'm right there with you. Fortunately I've stopped coughing (finally) although my voice isn't all the way back. The cough syrup nearly did me in. I think the drugs made it worse!

Something funny for you -- my Bug has an aversion to being touched lately. So I put my hand up to her the other day, and as she cringed away, I said "It's kinda like magnets. They repel each other."
She laughed! Hallalujah! A breakthru!
(I hope that doesn't send you into a coughing fit)

Get better soon. Drink, drink, drink lotsa water. With a Sonic Coke thrown in once every couple of hours --
xox

The Buntens said...

Oh this is good stuff here!

Funny, did you know most men's love language is Touch? Surprise surprise. And words of Affirmation. Interesting.

I'll be sure to keep kissing and hugging!

Meg in Tally said...

Don't worry about that ...last post! I sent all my readers to it to check it out today! LOVED IT!